Job Type: Full-time
Location: Waynesville, NC
Post Date: 1/1/1970
The New Product Development Chemist is responsible for conducting scientific analysis, participating in materials discovery, as well as design & applications support. This entails producing high quality and timely results in support of fiber-based packaging development projects from inception through planning, design, and manufacturing. This position is responsible for conducting laboratory and pilot plant testing and evaluation of packages, packaging products and related materials to support the new product development projects, manufacturing and customer inquiries. These activities can span from paperboard making through extrusion coating, converting, filling, storage, distribution, point of sale and consumer use as necessary to support new product developments, market research, product and process developments & improvements, material substitutions, cost savings, troubleshooting and other business needs of Evergreen Packaging. These efforts shall be result focused and presented in raw data and summary format as needed for members of the New Product Development and Marketing Groups as well as other internal and external customers of Evergreen Packaging. All data generated is to be of sound quality with minimal variances and is to be analyzed as needed to determine trends, correlations, relationships, curve fitting and other basic statistical assessments. The testing required will range from in depth analytical testing using sophisticated equipment and software to physical and mechanical testing on a wide variety of laboratory, pilot and commercial equipment. The workload and demand for test results will vary over time, including day to day at times, both in terms of what is needed and priority ranging from important to urgent.
- Work with Evergreen plants, sales and customer service people, our suppliers and our customers at the laboratory, pilot and commercial level for purposes of evaluating issues, problems, materials and products.
- Participate in larger scale projects such as commercial ramp ups, customer complaints and in depth analytical and physical analyses as needed.
- Use a wide variety of analytical equipment and physical testing machines to evaluate EPI and competitor products. Ability to use optical equipment, microscopes, digital microscopes, photography equipment, paper testing equipment, permeation testing equipment, GC, FTIR, and microbiological testing techniques.
- Interface with outside laboratories, develop laboratory SOP’s and analytical methods and follow GLP.
- Assist the Lab Manager in keeping all lab documentation current including test procedures, chemical inventory logs, instrumentation operating procedures, and instrumentation maintenance logs.
- Maintain documentation supporting all sample tests and results including lab notebooks.
- Assist with and provide laboratory expertise for special projects and qualification of outside labs.
- Assist the NPD team in preparing purchase orders and assist with the paperwork necessary to pay outside vendors and service providers for work related to our laboratory.
- Participate in maintenance of the analytical laboratory and TAPPI laboratory. Uphold TAPPI standards, quality and laboratory safety.
- Perform chemical and physical analysis of packaging and new materials, determine specifications, and deliver reports and presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Design and coordinate appropriate tests and experiments; analyze and summarize results; make sound recommendations, and perform root cause analysis.
- Manage the completion of materials and packaging testing for new product development and existing design improvements.
- Identify and manage outside consultants/expertise when needed per project.
- Assume analytical technical leadership for projects, plan technical work, and deliver timely effective conclusions utilizing internal and external resources.
- Contribute to NPD team in sourcing new material and process requirements for innovative product development.
- Provide technical assistance to optimize existing manufacturing processes.
- Effectively convey technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Assist in conducting safety audits and implement improvements as necessary.
- Keep all data, discovery and innovation information in a suitable notebook with dated entries for intellectual property purposes, signed and verified by Lab Manager, co-workers or other competent individuals.
- Strong Analytical skills with experience in FTIR-ATR, GC, GC-MS including method development and creation of SOP’s.
- Ability to troubleshoot analytical equipment and differentiate between equipment problems and method problems.
DSC, TGA, and polymer analysis experience
- Strong math and statistics background
- Ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree with 2+ years’ experience in an analytical laboratory, preferably packaging science or paper science laboratory
- A proficiency in Microsoft professional software such as Excel, Word, MS Access, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate a proficiency in solving and calculating algebraic and geometric math problems.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.