Job Type: Full-time
Location: Memphis, TN
Post Date: 7/11/2017
The Network Engineer's role is to ensure the stability and integrity of voice, data, video, and wireless network services across the organization. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
Strategy & Planning
- Establish network specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols.
- Establish network by evaluating network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput, and latency; planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment; defining network policies and procedures; establishing connections and firewalls.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including routers, switches, access points, UPSs, and other associated hardware.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed network designs and implementations to aid management in making decisions.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain knowledgeable of developments in the networking industry.
- Perform new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to procure network products and services.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Perform installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- Ensure network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephony equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
Participate in managing all network security solutions.
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in computer science or electrical engineering and 2+ years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in TCP/IP Networking, Network Design, Network Hardware, WLAN (CCNE, Comptia Network+, etc.) are preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards.
- Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with network performance applications.
- Experience in overseeing the design and implementation of network hardware, software, and related products.
- Experience with network planning and design and security principles.
- Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to conduct research into network issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-call availability for 7-14 days per month.
- Travel up to 25% will be required.
- Responsibilities may require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advance notice.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Regular inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as network hardware and peripherals.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
GEC Packaging Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.