Procurement Category Manager – Chemicals
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Memphis, TN
Post Date: 9/20/2017
The Procurement Category Manager – Chemicals position is based in Memphis, TN and reports directly to the GEC Senior Director of Global Procurement – Direct Materials. This position is responsible for developing and executing a chemical procurement strategy consistent with the goals and needs of the business and for maximizing the strategic value provided by the Chemicals Procurement Team. This position controls all procurement activities associated with the nearly $175 million combined annual chemical spend. The majority of this spend is within Evergreen Packaging a global manufacturer and supplier of paper and paperboard products with a leading position in the manufacture of refrigerated paper cartons and filling equipment.
- Develop and implement key procurement strategies for chemicals in close conjunction with the businesses that maximize total benefits while maintaining or improving service levels to local sites.
- Negotiate cost effective agreements with key suppliers & distributors that result in measurable total cost benefits. Negotiate other pricing that is not determined by contracted or indexed formulas.
- Understand and bring market intelligence, supplier knowledge and a key understanding of the use of chemicals in the manufacturing process.
- Establish and manage relationships with all key internal and external stakeholders to influence and drive initiatives across functions.
- Identify and evaluate innovative products and technologies with potential to deliver value to organization and/or in support of new product development efforts.
- Produce annual budgets for key materials using statistical, historical and market data.
- Provide monthly price and market updates as a measure against budget. Provide monthly pricing as needed to manufacturing sites.
- Work with Regulatory Affairs and suppliers to ensure 100% regulatory compliance.
- Facilitate meetings that drive cost savings initiatives. This means demonstrating the ability to develop agendas, lead meetings, and document & publish critical results.
Required Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated supplier management and negotiation skills. Ability to identify both required & desired outcomes from a meeting or situation, and be comfortable entering into difficult discussions/situations with suppliers or stakeholders. Show tenacity & initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to comfortably and effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Persuasiveness – utilizing interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance. Must have demonstrated the ability to persuade stakeholders internally and suppliers externally.
- Demonstrated ability to easily interface with plant personnel, build and lead teams, manage projects and drive cost and process improvement.
- Analytical Skills – demonstrated ability to relate & compare, securing relevant information and identifying key issues. This includes seeking and organizing information, and conducting relevant data analysis.
- Financial & Qualitative Acumen – demonstrated understanding of the use, interpretation and impact of key quantitative and financial measures.
Qualifications – Mandatory
- Bachelors of Science or Engineering from an accredited university
- At least 5 years chemical procurement experience or an equivalent amount of paper or chemical manufacturing or chemical sales experience
- General understanding of supplier markets and ability to perform market analysis
- Broad knowledge of chemical supply logistics
- Strong Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and analytical skills
Qualifications – Preferred
- Chemical Engineering Degree
- Paper making industry knowledge – Broad understanding of the paper making industry: pulping, paper making, extrusion, printing
- CPSM or CPM certification
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
GEC Packaging Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.