Job Type: Full-time
Location: Waynesville, NC
Post Date: 12/13/2017
The New Product Development Chemist is part of the team responsible for conducting scientific analysis, participating in materials discovery, as well as design & applications support. This entails producing high quality and timely results in support of packaging projects from inception through planning, design, and manufacturing. This position is responsible for conducting laboratory testing and evaluation of packages, packaging products and related materials to support the new product development projects, manufacturing and customer inquiries.
All data generated is to be of sound quality with minimal variances and is to be analyzed as needed to determine trends, correlations, relationships, curve fitting and other basic statistical assessments. The testing required will range from in depth analytical testing using sophisticated equipment and software to physical and mechanical testing on a wide variety of laboratory, pilot and commercial equipment. The workload and demand for test results will vary over time, including day to day at times, both in terms of what is needed and priority ranging from important to urgent.
- The primary role of the chemist to perform assigned analytical chemistry in pursuit of knowledge regarding Evergreen products and their applications. This includes both selection and execution of appropriate analytical process as well as design of experiments.
- Work is primarily completed in the Waynesville Lab location it will require working with Evergreen plants, sales and customer service people. At times this can include contact with our suppliers and our customers.
- Ability to use optical equipment, microscopes, digital microscopes, photography equipment, paper testing equipment, permeation testing equipment, GC, FTIR, and microbiological testing techniques will be required in the performance of duties.
- The course of work can require effective interface with outside laboratories, and other scientists.
Responsibilities will include appropriate documentation, following safety protocols, standard procedures, and company policies.
- Responsibilities include providing well written lab reports that both meet current standards and suggest improvement where needed. Sometimes these reports will need to be reviewed effectively with others who may have less knowledge in the chemistry.
- Proper care and maintenance of the lab equipment is part of the chemist responsibility as well as best practices for TAPPI standards, quality and laboratory safety.
- Provide technical assistance to optimize products and manufacturing processes.
- Assist in conducting safety audits and implement improvements as necessary.
- Keep all data, discovery and innovation information in a suitable notebook with dated entries for intellectual property purposes, signed and verified by Lab Manager, co-workers or other competent individuals.
- Maintain confidentiality of all lab work and developments.
- Strong Analytical skills with experience in FTIR-ATR, GC, GC-MS including method development and creation of SOP’s.
- Ability to troubleshoot analytical equipment and differentiate between equipment problems and method problems.
- Ability to effectively manage several concurrent projects according to priorities and adapt when changes in priorities becomes necessary.
- DSC, TGA, and polymer analysis experience.
- Strong math, statistics, and design of experiment background.
- The candidate will possess a minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical engineering, Paper Chemistry or equivalent, with 2+ years’ experience of analytical chemistry work, preferably packaging science or paper science laboratory. Post graduate work is preferred.
- Competency in Microsoft professional software such as Excel, Word, MS Access, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate a proficiency in setting up and solving algebraic and geometric math problems.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.