Area Manager - Pulp Mill
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 2/19/2018
The Area Manager - Pulp reports to the Business Unit Manager – Pulp, Power & Recovery. This position will have direct management oversight of 8 salaried professionals and is accountable for indirect oversight of 60-70 unionized employees. The Area Manager - Pulp leads the efforts to safely and efficiently operate the Pulp Mill by utilizing a fully integrated, complex, kraft pulp and paper manufacturing process. The ideal candidate will be technically oriented, a strong environmental steward who works well with people at all levels in the organization, and is an individual who is promotable to higher management positions within the organization. The ideal candidate will preferably have bleached paper experience.
- Manage and provide direction for the activities of Pulp Mill employees to meet production goals while balancing quality, productivity, performance, cost, safety, environmental, and morale to achieve positive results in all areas.
- This position is a senior leader in the organization with accountability for strategic and forward thinking skills that will contribute to the overall performance in the Pulp Mill as well as the Canton Mill operations.
- Accountable for daily management of Mill resources, performance management, as well as positive and productive employee and labor relations.
- Communicates to all levels of the organization as needed and participates with Area Managers from other areas of the mill to coordinate activities.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and listening communication skills. Clear expression of ideas in writing and in good grammatical form. Has the ability to actively listen and provide feedback to others. Assists with any EPI organization activities as needed at the direction of the Business Unit Manager.
- Ensures employees have proper training and tools to meet or exceed departmental and Mill goals and objectives.
- Resolves employee issues by utilizing problem solving skills while considering multiple sources, such as contract language and future business direction. Addresses issues impacting performance expeditiously getting outside resources involved as needed.
- Strong understanding and application of the collective bargaining process is required. In collaboration with Human Resources, manage the department’s grievance process.
- Build, develop and strengthen through leadership, education and empowerment of Pulp Mill resources to meet safety, environmental, production, quality and cost goals of the Pulp Mill and the Canton Mill.
- Responsible for setting direction, identifying priorities, coordinating the activities of other departments as it relates to the area performance, and managing the operating budget for the area.
- Maintain a high level of environmental performance and continue to strive for continuous improvement while achieving overall mill operational goals. Work safely in compliance with applicable rules, regulations and policies to understand and adhere to OSHA regulations. Ensure all employees are knowledgeable of and adhere to mill safety policies and regulations. Promote a safety culture and administer accountability for unsafe behaviors.
- Works with other departments and direct reports to promote team work among crew and peers. Monitors and manages the development of the Employees in the area.
Required Skills / Competencies:
As a Senior Manager, must have a demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others. Results driven with advanced problem solving skills. Application of Manufacturing Excellence (Lean Six Sigma) process. Understanding and ability to apply the language of the collective bargaining agreement is required. Champion to initiate and manage change. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to manage multiple priorities and work well under pressure. Strong team player. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Knowledge of production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of product. Knowledge of business and management principles. Computer literate. Must be able to work independently and think proactively with minimal daily guidance. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Prior supervisory experience of a salaried and hourly workforce is required.
- The successful candidate should possess the following:
- Undergraduate Degree required from a State Board of Regents Accredited University. Preferred degree areas include Chemical Engineering, Pulp & Paper, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Other technical undergraduate degrees will be considered when combined with job experience relevant to the job requirements
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing pulping and bleaching processes
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Pulp Mill Supervisor, Pulp Mill Superintendent or similar role in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum 7 years’ experience managing others
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in Paper Industry is preferred
- Ability to lead people and get results through others with the ability to manage multiple priorities
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.