Job Type: Full-time
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Date: 5/3/2018
Responsible for all carton Sealing/Finishing processes and leading the Sealing department’s hourly employees to achieve required goals for safety, environmental compliance, product quality, scrap minimization, productivity and customer delivery dates. The Sealing Manager will embody the highest standards of integrity, ethical conduct, leadership, empathy and will ensure all areas of responsibility are fully engaged in lean manufacturing and continuous improvement.
- Manage all sealing machines with feeders, skivers, case packers, palletizers and stretch wrappers.
- Lead and support the supervisors with hiring, training, and developing the employees in sealing quality product in a safe manner. Meet or exceed standards in safety, quality, waste reduction and equipment throughput.
- Communicate with the Quality Manager, Production Manager, and Plant Manager concerning all issues affecting quality (side seams, skiving issues, mixed loads, etc.).
- Work directly with the Maintenance Manager and Production Manager on planning, scheduling and training in support of the maintenance requirements of the equipment. Ensure equipment is inspected and repaired on the necessary service schedule.
- Establish working knowledge of production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of product that meets all customer requirements.
- Review and approve all purchases for the department.
- Responsible for scheduling equipment to meet customer orders, Preventative Maintenance, equipment rebuilds, and process improvements to ensure machine utilization meets or exceeds budget. Ensure standards for product quality and customer satisfaction meet or exceed budgeted standards. Work with the Production Scheduler, Printing Department, Customer Service, and Maintenance to facilitate all activities to meet budgeted goals.
- Monitor staffing levels and ensure all required teams are hired, trained, and developed to support the manufacturing operation.
- Ensure adequate resources are available to support the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the SQF 2000 system.
- Undertake operational duties as required to meet deadlines and/or cover for staff absence, filling gaps in resources in all areas, as needed.
- Ensure that the Collective Bargaining Agreement is followed correctly at all times.
- Review and make recommendations to ensure operations run effectively.
- Work closely with HR to produce and review individual/team performance. Providing information and commentary on a regular basis.
- Oversee the evaluation, training, and development of all employees to enhance career goals, retention, succession planning, and performance improvement.
- Ensure effective implementation and on-going compliance with Evergreen Quality Management System (QMS).
- Provide products and services that consistently meet the mutually agreed upon specifications of both our internal and external customers.
- Involve team members in continuously improving the quality of our products and services, and the efficiency of operations, and staff activities throughout the business.
- Responsible for providing resources and tools necessary for the development and implementation of quality and food safety system.
- Provide leadership and direction for achieving quality improvement by interpreting policy, recommending strategies, organizing resources, and assisting leaders in the development and implementation of improvement plans.
- Produce safe, quality products that comply with all applicable federal, state, and international laws, regulations, and guidelines.
- Participate in monthly food safety internal audits.
- Leading quality improvement activities within their respective organizations.
- 4-year degree is required with a technical undergraduate degree being the preference
- Experience in Flexographic or Process Printing preferred
- Experience in Paper Converting Process preferred
- 4+ total years of experience in Leadership roles within a manufacturing environment
- Direct first-line leadership responsibility for hourly teams
- Strong team player
- Organizational design, LEAN, and Business planning skills
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer ERP/SAP systems and Office/Excel software
- Ability to motivate, train, and delegate responsibility
- Ability to lead, build consensus, and work within a team environment
- Initiate and manage change, drive results through to achievement
- Knowledge of Food Safety Requirements
- Competent in product legality, safety, and quality
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.