Environmental Manager - Water & Waste
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 7/2/2018
Manage Waste Treatment and its Laboratory as well as solid and hazardous waste, groundwater and daily landfill operations. Additionally this position shall continuously improve operations to effectively support the mill, meet environmental requirements, and provide NPDES, by-products, and process control testing that meets our customers’ needs in a safe and cost effective manner.
- Supervise the activities of the WWTP and laboratory to make sure the environmental, health, and safety guidelines set forth by Evergreen Packaging are met and/or exceeded.
- Ensure that all regulatory sampling, testing, quality assurance, and record keeping requirements for maintaining laboratory certification are met.
- Coordinate the permitting, planning, development and daily operations of the mill-owned process waste landfill.
- Meet reporting and permitting requirements associated with local, state and federal solid and hazardous waste regulations.
- Coordinate the management and proper disposal of process, non-process and hazardous waste generated.
Ensure all employees are knowledgeable of and adhere to mill safety and environmental policies and regulations.
- Develop, track and trend operational data and key performance indicators that improve performance.
Control and forecast spending within a prescribe budget.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
The Minimum educational requirement is a B.A. / B.S. in physical sciences or engineering. Preference would be given to degrees with emphasis in environmental and/or Chemistry.
In addition to the educational requirement, the following experience is required:
- Minimum of six months working in or directly with an NPDES certified laboratory
- Prior Knowledge of manufacturing process – 7+ years
- Prior work experience as a supervisor – 5+ years
- Prior work experience in the environmental field – 7+ years
- Prior work experience in a union environment (Ideal but not required) – 3+years
Special Knowledge, Skills and Training:
- Must be able to obtain a North Carolina Grade IV Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator’s License.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must have a current North Carolina Grade II or better Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Lincense or equivalent from another state and have held this Grade and License for a minimum of three years.
- Ability to balance environmental compliance, productivity, cost and employee relations while achieving positive results.
- Administer discipline as necessary.
- Experience operating a Grade IV WWTP and supervising an NPDES certified laboratory.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.