General Manager - Mill Operations
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 1/1/1970
We are currently seeking a General Manager - Mill Operations for our fully integrated pulp mill located in Canton, NC and our extrusion facility located in Waynesville, NC. This role will be responsible for all aspects of leading the team to produce and deliver quality paper and paperboard with safe and efficient operations.
- Enforce all location safety and health rules, regulations and environmental standards to align with Target Zero objectives.
- Provide leadership that supports the workplace culture improvement process throughout the hourly and salaried workforce and coordinate changes in methods and procedures to improve profitability and operational performance.
- Work “on the process” as well as “in the process” to drive continuous improvement in Safety, Quality, Waste, Throughput and Earnings.
- Develop and implement systems and frameworks through which all employees work, make business decisions, and deliver business results.
- Develop and maintain customer relationships to ensure business goals are met.
- Direct and coordinate financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments and increase efficiencies.
- Manage cost control for all P&L items.
- Work with business partners to continually evaluate portfolio for profitability improvement.
- Develop annual operating plan and capital spending plan with financial justifications.
- Maintain annual plant spending within approved plan level.
- Coordinate activities between outside sales and service engineers, customers, inside sales service scheduling, manufacturing and shipping to ensure maximum plant effectiveness and efficient order processing to meet customer requirements and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Promote and support through Leadership Team, training and development of all location employees to enhance career goals, retention, succession planning and performance improvement.
- Ensure effective engagement and on-going compliance with Quality Management System (QMS).
- Ensure a quality product while maintaining and improving quality processes and systems.
- Manage and develop the leaders within all business units with the goal of building bench strength to achieve our business goals.
- Advance Manufacturing Excellence activities/initiatives which will involve lean and six sigma methods.
- Develop and execute strategic capital investments.
- Support supply chain efforts and adhere to all policies ensuring proper purchase and supply processes.
- Partner with and support the New Product Development group which includes trials for new products and/or improvements to current products.
- Manage employee and labor relations in a unionized environment with fair and consistent application of the rules. Lead by example in adhering to and executing all company policies and procedures.
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or higher in an Engineering Discipline, Paper Science or related industry.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of experience leading large teams as a business. unit/operations manager in heavy industrial manufacturing. Paper Mill experience will first be considered.
- Organizational design, LEAN and Business planning skills.
- Labor relations experience.
- Computer literate in operational systems.
Competencies of the successful candidate:
- Strong leadership skills
- Builds effective teams
- Ability to motivate, train and delegate responsibility
- Strong communication skills – verbal and written
- Strategic mindset
- Organized with ability to manage competing priorities
- Problem solving skills
- Drives and delivers results
- Drives vision and purpose
- Customer focused
- Initiate and manage change
- Interpersonal savvy
- Ethical and trustworthy
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.