Mechanical Engineer III
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Post Date: 12/13/2018
This position performs a variety of engineering related tasks and assignments ranging from conceptual design to the documentation required to manufacture the end product. The customers range from other engineering personnel all the way to the end manufactured product customer. The design of components is required to be done on various CAD systems. Various design software packages are used to design and release the components. The Drawings and ECO documentation for the manufacturing of the designed components are created using their appropriate software. The components must be followed though the manufacturing process including testing of some components and systems. Must be able to work with a minimal of supervision.
- Must come up with new ideas to solve problems. Much thinking out of the box needs to be done to see possible solutions to impossible situations.
- Complete all testing required for completion of the project. Tests need to be run as required to determine if a component will meet the design objectives.
- Completing all drawings with the required information so that the part can be made correctly. Done by paying particular attention to detail and confirming that all required information is on the drawing.
- Complete and release the ECO with all the information required. This is done by including what machine the changes affect, a note to production control providing information for disposition if required, and the reason that the change is being done.
- Support of other departments as required. Many departments (customers) other than engineering need support until the component is sent to the end customer.
- Implementation of project completion schedules which are very aggressive.
- Out-sourcing of components and projects.
- Getting things done on time and with an acceptable result due to the fact that we are out-sourcing many parts outside of the company to be manufactured.
- The new CAD software SolidWorks is very challenging to use since it is very powerful and therefor very complex to use.
- We are constantly changing the way that things are being done and we must adjust accordingly.
- Constantly going to meetings that take away from the main design objectives.
This position requires new design innovations which push the limit of today's technologies. Today's customers demand new and improved machines/systems at lower costs for these systems. Generally the systems worked on by this position will have costs of components of up to $400,000.
- Degreed Engineer (preferably mechanical, will consider agricultural or chemical).
- 5-8 years professional experience related to this position
- Proficient with CAD - SolidWorks required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% including Internationally
- Demonstrated ability to produce results
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people
- Demonstrated ability to learn
- A good working knowledge of manufacturing practices is required to design parts that can be manufactured for a minimal cost.
- A good knowledge base of mechanical mechanisms and drive components to design simple and complex mechanisms
- A good knowledge base of software tools like spreadsheets, word processors, databases and cad used to perform required functions.
- Must be able to conduct tests and associated changes as required to determine the validity of a design.
- Action Oriented
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Time Management
- Customer Focus
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Functional Technical skills
- Learning on the fly
Job assignments are constantly changing and challenging. This position must be able to change directions at a moments notice.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer - D/F/M/V