Pulp and Utilities Technology Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Memphis, TN
Post Date: 1/4/2019
Reports directly to VP of North American Operations. Lead the effort to develop and implement projects and industry best practices to improve pulp productivity, pulp quality, and reduce overall manufacturing cost. Identify and implement projects to improve energy efficiency, equipment operation and cost in the utilities area. Work with mill resource to implement industry identified best practices in safety systems in the pulping and utilities areas. Act as a resource for mill support during planned outages and upset conditions. Perform routine auditing of mill systems to ensure optimal performance.
- Support safety efforts by creating a safe work environment in which employees can perform their job tasks at minimum risks. Utilize industry best practices to improve safety standards and practices within our facilities.
- Maintain the efforts in the Environmental arena to meet all compliance requirements and strive for consistent and improved performance on all operating parameters.
- Assist and support the operational efforts of the production groups to support the department and mill operational goals to provide quality products with minimum variability in specifications and supply.
- Manage cost of manufacturing by improving equipment reliability through resource group commitment, while structuring capital spending to manage preservation and return projects. Manage overtime costs, develop committed supply partners and cost structures, and improve the process in the mill for optimum performance.
- Continuously build, strengthen and improve leadership, education, empowerment and dedication of the employees and of the organization to meet the needs of the department, the Mills, and the larger organization.
- Knowledge of production processes, Lean Sigma and Kaizen techniques, budgeting processes, quality systems, cost management, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of product.
- Primary budgeting responsibility for a key area of the Mill.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree required - Preferred degree areas include Chemical Engineering, Pulp & Paper, and Mechanical Engineering. Other technical degrees will be considered when combined with job experience relevant to the job requirements.
- Preferred 8+yrs of experience with the focus in Pulp and Paper.
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to assess risk and determine the path forward to minimize business impact.
- Leadership: a demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others by developing working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Strong business management principles and excellent leadership skills, including supervisory skills. This role will have accountability for departmental performance management requirements.
- Ability to manage / balance multiple and competing priorities, while achieving positive results in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, cost and employee relations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to convey a compelling vision and sense of core purpose.
- Strong team player with the ability to develop and participate in all team environments, including as a Mill Operations Lead Team Member, while focusing on the achievement of goals, setting strategy and achieving efficient problem resolution.
- Basic knowledge of SAP, PI, or other business operating systems are required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Willingness and ability to document all aspects of daily operations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.