Sustainability Project Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 1/1/1970
The position is responsible for managing the “central office” function of the forest certification requirements and actively participating in the development and implementation of Evergreen Packaging’s sustainability strategy, goals and initiatives. The position requires direct contact with customers including the management and response to customer requests for forestry and sustainability information. Additional responsibilities include collecting, compiling and managing Evergreen’s sustainability and environmental performance data, including life cycle and other assessments and tracking against established goals. The position has direct contact with procurement, customers, potential customers and retailers and represents Evergreen Packaging at trade shows and conferences. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and an understanding of Evergreen’s operations are essential to fulfill these responsibilities.
- The position manages the “central office” requirements for mills, converting and international facilities for the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), Programme for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certifications. Managing “central office” responsibilities include securing approvals for labeling and trademark use, recordkeeping and certified sales documentation, credit tracking systems, internal auditing program, development and implementation of procedures, product group classification and company profiles of products marketed on SFI, PEFC and FSC websites, etc. Participation in audits, negotiation and communication with certification bodies, forest certification expansion to additional Evergreen facilities, training for participating sites, in addition to maintenance and improvements in systems and processes related to forest certification is required.
- The position manages internal and external customer requests for sustainability related information. This requires working with legal and other departments to complete customer questionnaires, write letters and provide data as necessary. This includes responsibility for completing the Carbon Disclosure Project, the Environmental Paper Assessment Tool and other customer-required initiatives. The ability to communicate directly with our customers including excellent communication skills is an essential requirement.
- Coordinate company-wide data collection (Forestry to International) related to sustainability and environmental performance. Use data to develop metrics, track against goals, and respond to internal and external questions or requests for data. Develop company-wide relationships including a detailed understanding of our processes to maintain data on sustainability for key Evergreen Packaging environmental parameters. Coordinate and manage the development of Life Cycle Assessments internally for our products and externally for customers and associations.
- Support the sales and marketing teams by preparing or supporting the development of internal and external sustainability communications including sales sheets, brochures, presentations, advertisements, social media and websites. Manage the sustainability collateral development and updating of information to the Evergreen internet and intranet and for our customers, prospective employees and consumers. Secure and maintain legal approval for communications materials. Track carton customer use of on-pack messaging, forest certification logos and recycling symbol.
- Create and participate in the development of Evergreen’s sustainability branding and communications strategy and efforts to bring the sustainability message to customers, retailers and consumers. Maintain understanding of Evergreen’s participation with the Carton Council and be able to discuss with stakeholders. Support Carton Council efforts as needed. (Responding to questions about carton recycling access, statistics, progress, etc.).
- Attend trade shows, participate in relevant organizations (i.e. Sustainable Packaging Coalition, Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Natural Products, etc.), interact with peers and conduct competitive market research and analysis to gather information, insight and intelligence about current market trends and initiatives for development, maintenance and improvement of the Evergreen sustainability strategy, goals and communications.
- BA/BS degree: Required Engineering, Environmental, Science, Forestry, Sustainability or similar from a board of regents accredited university.
- Master’s degree: Preferred MS in Environmental Management, Pulp and Paper, Forestry or similar from a board of regents accredited university.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in environmental, market research, or data management and data and information tracking and analysis including at least a general understanding of the pulp and paper industry.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and summarize abstract data and information.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication and collaborative communication skills.
- Must be able to work and walk in Mill and Converting and forest settings and capable of typical exposures and environmental conditions.
- Requires sitting for long periods and capable of extensive computer work.
- Must have flexible hours and capable of overtime as required.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative work ethic
- Computer, spreadsheet, PowerPoint literate, and ability to analyze and summarize abstract data and information
- Confidence in decision-making and communication
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Flexible in tasks and intellectual capability
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.