Director, Environmental Health and Safety - Paper Industry Exp. Preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 11/4/2019
Our ideal candidate understands that the health and safety of our employees is a core value at Evergreen Packaging, and we demonstrate that through our daily actions. While we have an excellent safety and compliance record by industry standards, we are searching for a Director - Environmental, Health & Safety to lead our organization to achieve our goals to continuously improve toward our Target Zero Incident goals.
- Provides oversight and ownership for all Evergreen Packaging Health, Safety and Environmental strategies, initiatives and activities.
- Implements strategies to keep employees focused on safety.
- Drives a Target Zero culture for Environment, Health and Safety with strong involvement and ownership from each employee.
- Directs and supports local EHS staff activities to ensure compliance and drive personal ownership and accountability.
- Mentors plant EHS personnel for success.
- Uses data to analyze pertinent trends, making recommendations to senior leaders regarding EH&S strategies.
- Leads environmental permitting strategies that gives the facilities the most operational flexibility.
- Partners with site operational leaders to be a visible EHS advocates in areas of responsibility.
- Provides oversight to ensure all environmental reports are submitted to their respective jurisdictions timely.
- Acts as a business partner to facility Leaders and teams to ensure safety plans are in place to protect employees, vendors, visitors, and physical assets. Supports the operations teams to achieve their EHS targets.
- Establishes policies and procedures designed to promote employee health and safety, as well as ensures compliance with applicable regulations.
- Is knowledgeable of regulatory developments (safety and environmental). Advises and makes recommendations to senior leaders to address and/or minimize impacts.
- Implements and/or drives corporate EHS strategy at the site operations level.
- Audits facilities and systems to identify improvement opportunities and provide assistance in reaching goals and objectives.
- Assist in completion of any regulatory submissions, notifications, etc. required to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local EHS requirements.
- Liaises with regulatory and government officials as company advocate.
- Leads applicable risk management functions.
- Participates in management of high exposure Workers’ Compensation claims in the US. This includes participating in claims reviews & making recommendations to the business concerning settlement options as needed.
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in federal EPA, OSHA, and other applicable regulations, as well as specific knowledge on each state's or country's regulations is necessary.
- Technical proficiency in environmental, health and safety practices and procedures.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to influence and negotiate in the face of difficult and complex circumstances.
- Independent thinking and integration of technical/regulatory issues into organizational policies, practices and training.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal). Ability to communicate skillfully with employees, customers, vendors, contractors, and regulators. Comfort with presenting to senior leaders.
- Change agent. Can create a vision, and lead others to follow, execute and sustain change.
- Collaborative business partner.
Travel, as required, to all Evergreen Packaging Locations. Typical travel is up to 70%.
- Bachelor of Science – Safety/Environmental/Industrial Hygiene discipline, Science or Engineering, Required.
- Master of Science – Related field, Preferred.
- 10+ years – First-hand experience in EHS management for manufacturing facilities, Required. Global experience preferred.
- 10+ years – Knowledge/experience within Regulatory Environment, Required. Global experience preferred.
- 5+ years – Leading teams, Required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, maral status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.