Senior Environmental Engineer - Water & Waste
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 11/8/2019
Manage the water and waste program for the Canton and Waynesville, NC operations as well as a small facility in Tennessee. This position will report to the Environmental Manager, direct and influence site leadership to assure regulatory and company environmental compliance, achieve continuous performance improvement, and integrate environmental performance objectives into standard work processes. The Sr. Environmental Engineer shall develop strategies to achieve these goals in alignment with the site business goals and values, assure all operations managers understand compliance requirements, and assist directly when needed.
Manages all aspects of the Landfill operations for the Mill. Duties will include management of operators and contractors, budget development and administration, and responsibility for daily operations as required by the permit. Also, responsible for the water program, mainly storm water permit compliance and assist with wastewater permitting and compliance. Develops and carries out policies, procedures and programs as related to both daily and long range management of the Landfill and water program.
- Responsible for water and waste compliance for all operations.
- Responsible for the management of the landfill staff, including training for proper landfill management, performance management; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
- Working knowledge of motorized vehicles and equipment used in landfill operations, including dozer, front end loader, and dump trucks.
- Monitoring, recording and disposal of hazardous waste generated at the facility.
- Ensure assigned environmental permits are properly implemented.
- Implements and administers government and company required safety, health and environmental programs to ensure EHS compliance.
- Coach site operational leaders to be visible EHS advocates in areas of responsibility.
- Implement and/or drive corporate and facility EHS strategies at the site operations level.
- Audit facilities and systems to identify improvement opportunities and provide assistance in reaching goals and objectives.
- Assist in completion of any regulatory submissions, notifications, etc. required to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local environmental requirements.
- Navigate pending and proposed regulations and position the facility to comply with the least impact to the facility.
- Evaluate performance trends and develop initiatives based on those trends to improve performance.
- Gathers and reports information and data required by State and Federal regulatory agencies. Maintains accurate documentation and required records.
- Utilize manufacturing excellence tools to engage employees in environmental and safety improvement projects
- Obtain and maintain required job certifications including Hazardous Waste Management, DOT Hazmat, and Landfill operations.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental or closely related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in an environmental role within a manufacturing environment.
- Able to direct large hourly staff. Landfill supervisory or management experience preferable.
- Demonstrates understanding and application of environmental and safety programs.
- Energetic and dynamic with excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Initiate and manage change and problem solving skills.
- Ability to motivate, train and delegate responsibility.
- Ability to lead, build consensus and work within a team environment
- Skilled in Microsoft Professional applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.