Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 1/1/1970
The plant buyers are responsible for the procurement of various materials, supplies and services in support of mill operations. The function includes active involvement with plant operations (manufacturing, engineering, maintenance, stores etc.) to deliver optimal supplier solutions, build credibility and relationships with key stakeholders and influence decision makers to commit to a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) approach. Buyers work closely with plant teams and proactively develop cost reduction and process improvement opportunities and are accountable for measurable competitive bid TCO improvement.
The positions resides at the Canton Mill and reports directly to the Procurement Manager. Specific duties vary by position assignment but typically include buying responsibilities for the wood yard, pulp mill, paper machines, extruders, chip systems, maintenance shops, recovery & utilities, waste treatment, tool room, rewinders, office & admin and all other areas as needed.
- Manage assigned area(s) for the procurement of goods & services. This includes gathering information internally and externally on mill products used, negotiating pricing & delivery and selecting suppliers.
- Build collaborative relationships and interact with Production, Engineering, Maintenance and Stores in understanding needs/requirements. This specifically includes participation in department meetings to be effectively engaged in pertinent discussions.
- Facilitate supplier meetings as needed with stakeholders to review issues and/or opportunities. Meetings should have a published agenda with specific tasks to complete.
- Drive cost reduction thru competitive bid TCO improvement and/or working with stakeholders and suppliers to identify opportunities in other projects. Ensure competitive bid policies are enforced. Collectively work to identify process improvements than can reduce costs or improve efficiencies.
- Turn requisitions into purchase orders in a timely fashion as an agreed upon metric, and respond to emergency situations quickly and with a high sense of urgency.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Required Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated supplier management and negotiation skills. Ability to identify both required & desired outcomes from a meeting or situation, and be comfortable entering into difficult discussions/situations with suppliers or stakeholders. By default, buyers must be tenacious and show initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to comfortably and effectively communicate both verbally and in writing. This means the ability to develop agendas, lead meetings as a facilitator, and document & publish critical results. As the interface between suppliers and end-users, buyers often are expected and must be able to take the lead.
- Persuasiveness – utilizing interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance. Buyers must have the ability to persuade stakeholders internally and suppliers externally.
- Analytical Skills – buyers must be able to relate & compare, securing relevant information and identifying key issues. This includes seeking and organizing information, and conducting relevant data analysis.
- Financial & Qualitative Acumen – buyers need to demonstrate an understanding of the use, interpretation and impact of key quantitative and financial measures.
- In combination with the skills above, buyers must also be collaborative in nature. Many decisions will be made in a team environment.
- B.S/B.A degree in supply chain, business, finance or related field from a four-year accredited college or university.
- 3+ years of procurement/ supply chain experience in a manufacturing company with a mature procurement function.
- At least 2 years SAP experience in materials management module, preferably with version 6.0. Basic Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- CPSM or CPM certification strongly preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.