Senior Food Scientist
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 7/29/2020
Responsible for supporting business objectives related to the continued delivery of quality products using the highest scientific standards. Act as a resource or subject matter expert with customers to address needs related to existing and new product questions. The selected candidate will work alongside other individuals in functional work groups to take new, improved and optimized products from concept through successful commercialization by utilizing skills in formulation, product and consumer testing.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND INFLUENCE:
- The Food Scientist will provide factual data, guidance and solutions on food, food packaging interactions, product shelf life, packaging materials, microbiology, food & packaging regulatory & GMP requirements and related manufacturing processes as needed to support EPI's food and non-food fiber, paper, paperboard, packaging and filling machine businesses, both domestically and internationally.
- Leads technical components of a project by coordinating activities of a cross functional team.
- Works with internal team and external vendors to validate required materials meet customer, regulatory and scientific standards.
- Presents iterative concepts to business team members, makes technical recommendations to meet project objectives.
- Develops specifications and testing protocol for new products.
- Identifies and presents new and innovative technical solutions and product ideas to the broader organization.
- Supports cost savings initiatives through product & process optimization.
- Provides troubleshooting support at EPI and customer plants as needed.
- Provide technical support to other projects, manufacturing, converting and other departments within the company.
- Participates in professional development to ca. 75 continuing education units (CEUs) each five years through professional meetings, webinars, etc.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 20%.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Effective working relationships with internal/external counterparts: Manufacturing, Quality, Marketing, Supply Chain, Vendors, NPD Laboratory, Regulatory Affairs, Equipment Division and Customers.
- Strong working knowledge of food science, food chemistry, analytical chemistry and instrumentation, GLP, GMP, HACCP, Quality Systems, wet chemistry and microbiology techniques, PMO, food filling machine sanitary requirements, food processing equipment/methods and food packaging shelf life requirements.
- Enjoys working in a results-oriented, customer focused, team environment.
- Ability to manage projects at a pace appropriate to the business needs whether fast or longer term.
- Practices and promotes high levels of safety in all work.
- Ability to handle changing timelines and priorities with flexibility.
- Creative and willing to constructively challenge the status quo.
- EXAMPLES OF ASSOCIATED ACTIVITIES (small set of examples):
- Evaluate current practices in manufacturing that may affect food safety
- Provide recommendations and training resources for best practices improvement
- Actively participates in customer, third party and GFSI audits.
- Conduct analysis and review of chemical extractions results – including spectroscopy and chromatography data
- Conduct analysis and review of microbiological testing
- Lead investigations of chemical and microbiological issues
- Provide on-site problem-solving evaluation/assessment in customers’ filling/packaging operations
- Conduct organoleptic-impact evaluation of materials, equipment, methods and environment
- Provide calculations of worst-case, regulatory impact of chemical or microbiological deviation/excursion
- Conduct risk assessment and provide worst-case remediation recommendations
- Participate in the evaluation of packaging and product studies, including performing carton inspections.
- Complete all required EHS and food safety training.
- Interface with outside laboratories, understand internal laboratory capabilities and assist Laboratory Manager in leveraging resources
- Participate in Benchmarking activities including the evaluation of containers, packaging, converted board, polycoated board, baseboard, coatings, fibers, fillers, additives, and resins relative to the marketplace.
- Creates an environment that encourages teamwork and collaboration, both internally and externally.
- Ability to lead others through direct or indirect supervision and mentoring.
- Excellent problem solving skills, viewing the problem as a whole and working with others as needed to resolve it. Ability to view and approach a problem from more than one viewpoint.
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and ignite change by actively & constructively sharing proven ideas and technologies.
- Self-directed with minimal supervision.
- Strong written, oral, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to evaluate and communicate project status issues or risk appropriately.
- Conveys technical information in understandable terms to all levels of the organization.
- Disseminate timely updates of new products, processes and/or trends relevant to the business.
- Assists, as requested, with development and/or refinement of marketing tools.
- Capable of working & leading projects in food science and technology (microbiology, food chemistry, sensory evaluation) in a lab environment with the high standards of technical proficiency, detail and precision. Experience in product scale up in a manufacturing environment is critical.
- Systems thinker; understands the linkage of activities during commercialization and principles of design for manufacturing.
- Understanding of common consumer and market research.
- Ability to apply insights throughout the development process.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer applications to access information, analyze data and solve problems.
- Statistical analysis- ability to utilize statistical software and tools to interpret data and trends.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Doctorate in Food Science or related field from an accredited university.
- 10+ years progressive product development experience. Previous work in Dairy or Beverage packaging industry microbiology is desired.
- Certified Food Scientist strongly preferred.
- Prior direct supervisory and project management experience desirable.
- Working knowledge of Stage Gate commercialization process is desirable.
- The Corporate Food Scientist/Microbiologist position requires an ability to lift 50 lbs. minimum up to a distance of 3 feet. The candidate must have good color vision, as color evaluation is essential to many of the tests to be completed.
- Capable of working freely in coolers, freezers, humidity chambers and other environmental chambers.
- Capable of business travel and visiting customers food service facilities.
- Able to work with common materials used in liquid packaging (inks, barriers, etc.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.