Senior Environmental Engineer – Water and Waste Program
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 8/18/2020
Our ideal candidate manage the water and waste program for the Canton and Waynesville, NC operations as well as a small facility in Tennessee. This position will report to the EHS Manager, direct and influence site leadership to assure regulatory and company environmental compliance, achieve continuous performance improvement, and integrate environmental performance objectives into standard work processes. The Sr. Environmental Engineer shall develop Management systems and procedures to achieve these goals in alignment with the site business goals and values, assure all operations managers understand compliance requirements, and assist directly when needed.
Manages all aspects of the Landfill operations for the Mill. Duties will include management of operators and contractors, budget development and administration, and responsibility for daily operations as required by the permit.
Also, responsible for the water program, mainly storm water permit compliance and assist with wastewater permitting and compliance. Develops procedures and programs as related to both daily and long range management of the Landfill and water programs.
- Responsible for water and waste compliance for all operations.
- Responsible for the management of the landfill staff, including training for proper landfill management, performance management; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
- Monitoring, recording and disposal of hazardous waste generated at the facility with knowledge of the manifesting process.
- Ensure assigned water, storm water, landfill, solid waste and hazardous waste permits are properly implemented.
- Knowledge of NC asbestos regulations
- Ability to build a management system from a permit or regulatory process which is understood and followed by the entire workforce.
- A safety leader. Familiar with hazard recognition programs and developing JHAs.
- Part of the EHS team including being on call and handling questions which may be out of the core proficiency.
- Implements and administers government and company required safety, health and environmental programs to ensure EHS compliance.
- Coach site operational leaders to be visible EHS advocates in areas of responsibility.
- Audit facilities and systems to identify improvement opportunities and provide assistance in reaching goals and objectives.
- Navigate pending and proposed regulations and position the facility to comply with the least impact to the facility.
- Evaluate performance trends and develop initiatives based on those trends to improve performance.
- Obtain and maintain required job certifications including Hazardous Waste Management, DOT Hazmat, and Landfill operations.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental or closely related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in an environmental role within a manufacturing environment.
- Able to direct large hourly staff. Landfill supervisory or management experience preferable.
- Demonstrates understanding and application of environmental and safety programs.
- Energetic and dynamic with excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Initiate and manage change and problem solving skills.
- Ability to motivate, train and delegate responsibility.
- Ability to lead, build consensus and work within a team environment
- Skilled in Microsoft Professional applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.