Regional EHS Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Athens, GA
Post Date: 10/13/2020
THIS ROLE CAN BE LOCATED IN ATHENS. GA OR RALEIGH, NC
Our ideal candidate understands that the health and safety of our employees is a core value at Evergreen Packaging, and we demonstrate that through our daily actions. While we have an excellent safety and compliance record by industry standards, we are searching for a Manager, EHS to lead our sites to achieve our goals to continuously improve toward our Target Zero Incident goals.
- Leads oversight and ownership for Evergreen Packaging Health, Safety and Environmental strategies, initiatives and activities for the North American Packaging (NAP) and Machinery Divisions. Site locations include:
- Athens, GA
- Raleigh, NC
- Olmsted, OH
- Plant City, FL
- Kalamazoo, MI
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Turlock, CA
- Implements strategies to keep employees focused on safety.
- Manage recording and reporting EHS related information for Evergreen Packaging
- Monthly Safety reports
- Fire Incident Tracking Reports
- Quarterly Rank reports (fire and EHS Highlights)
- Track Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Environmental submittals for NAP and Machinery (Air, Storm Water, Waste Water, Waste Management, etc.)
- Integral part of the Evergreen EHS Strategy team consisting of EHS Managers from the mills and NAP to set EHS strategy, policy and initiatives for the company
- Drives a Target Zero culture for Environment, Health and Safety with strong involvement and ownership from each employee.
- Directs and supports local EHS staff activities to ensure compliance and drive personal ownership and accountability.
- Mentors plant EHS personnel for success.
- Partners with site operational leaders to be a visible EHS advocates in areas of responsibility.
- Acts as a business partner to facility Leaders and teams to ensure safety plans are in place to protect employees, vendors, visitors, and physical assets. Supports the operations teams to achieve their EHS targets.
- Implements and/or drives corporate EHS strategy at the site operations level.
- Audits facilities and systems to identify improvement opportunities and provide assistance in reaching EHS goals and objectives.
- Facilitate management of risk management functions associated with fire and boiler machinery insurance reviews.
- Participates in management of high exposure Workers’ Compensation claims in the US. This includes participating in claims reviews & making recommendations to the business concerning settlement options as needed.
- Provide Corporate Level Safety Support to the two Pulp and Paper Mills
- Canton, NC
- Pine Bluff, AR
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in federal EPA, OSHA, and other applicable regulations, as well as specific knowledge on each state's or country's regulations is necessary.
- Technical proficiency in environmental, health and safety practices and procedures.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to influence and negotiate in the face of difficult and complex circumstances.
- Independent thinking and integration of technical/regulatory issues into organizational policies, practices and training.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal). Ability to communicate skillfully with employees, customers, vendors, contractors, and regulators. Comfort with presenting to senior leaders.
- Change agent. Can create a vision, and lead others to follow, execute and sustain change.
- Collaborative business partner.
Travel, as required, to all Evergreen Packaging Locations. Typical travel is up to 60% - 70%.
The position will be located at one of the packaging facilities.
Preferred locations are Raleigh and Athens
- Bachelor of Science – Safety/Environmental/Industrial Hygiene discipline, Science or Engineering, Required.
- 10+ years – First-hand experience in EHS management for manufacturing facilities, Required.
- 5+ years – Leading teams, Required
- Safety Experience in High Speed/High Volume manufacturing environment - Strongly Preferred
- EHS Pulp and Paper experience - Preferred
- Requires excellent administrative skills with good analytical and problem-solving attributes.
Verbal and written communications with experience in negotiations must be very strong.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.