Canton/Waynesville Mill Procurement Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Canton, NC
Post Date: 10/14/2020
The Mill Procurement Manager will be responsible for managing priorities related to procurement activities for the Mill, developing the procurement and stores organization to deliver both short and long-term value, and for managing change needed to establish Procurement as a seamless participant toward improving the Mill’s reliability and profitability. This position will also drive process improvements, implement lean principles, and harness latest technology to the mill’s storeroom operations. This position will assume ownership for continual improvement of Total Cost of Ownership of everything bought in Indirect category, while functioning as subject matter expert and procurement category leader for Contractor Services spend for the mill.
This position will represent broader procurement category leadership team among senior leadership of the mill, and ensure due priority and urgency is obtained from the category leaders in response to the mill’s needs. This position reports up the Pactiv Evergreen procurement organization, and has supervisory responsibility of all of the procurement and storeroom team members located at the Mill. The ideal candidate is a curious and creative problem solver with a keen ability to envision the future state and find optimal solutions today.
- Create and maintain a positive safety first culture, emphasizing on safe behaviors, and promoting training and checklists. Demonstrate safety as a core value and establish a safe work environment by actively leading the safe execution of work.
- Plan and coordinate work, train, motivate, monitor and evaluate performance of employees under supervision. Counsel, record, and discipline as necessary; ensure accountability across team.
- Work with internal mill stakeholders to identify and address unmet needs that align with procurement and the mill’s goals to deliver long term value.
- Participate, as part of the Mill leadership team, in safety and strategic planning events as well as in the weekly leadership team meetings.
- Funnel all procurement category (indirect, capital, packaging material, resin, ink, colorant, chemical and energy) leaders’ inputs to mill lead team, funnel back mill inputs relevant to category leaders back to them with due urgency.
- Engage and keep up to date with category leaders’ initiatives or any supply issues/updates that may impact/benefit mills, and keep mills up to date.
- Manage Procurement and Storeroom processes utilizing key performance indicators (KPI) and value drivers.
- Analyze and control departmental expenditures to conform to budgetary requirements; meet departmental financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, and analyzing variances.
- Ensure all activities are conducted ethically, with integrity.
- Act as subject matter expert and procurement category leader for Contractor Services spend for the mill. Implement world class category management of Contractor Services.
- Maintain list of goods and services not sourced to preferred vendors; plan and implement Request for Proposal (RFP) events for the non-sourced spend.
- Develop and execute RFP based on in-depth spend data analysis and insightful knowledge of market dynamics impacting spend categories to optimize and improve the cost, quality, and schedule of projects.
- Request quotes for spare parts, tooling, services, etc. from preferred suppliers or OEM; review quotes for accuracy, and negotiate best total cost of ownership (TCO) for the company.
- Maintain proactive and helpful outlook with internal stakeholders while maintaining and asserting procurement and storeroom policies.
- Develop positive relationships and maintain rapport with suppliers, driving to continuous-improvement goals of optimal cost, quality, service, availability, and delivery.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams at the facility and corporate to implement corporate initiatives.
- Must maintain an organized database of historical and current RFP information and results.
- Track, maintain, and report cost savings generated by the team.
Attributes for Success:
- Integrity - treat the company and teammates with upmost respect, operating on strong moral codes to drive company values and culture.
- Pursuit of Excellence – strive to consistently exceed expectations in our day-to-day work and outperform our competitors in the marketplace, regarding work and company achievements as a collaborative goal with the desire to go above and beyond.
- Sense of Urgency – drive forward each day with speed, agility, and flexibility to capture unrealized opportunities and avoid potential risks for the business.
- Hard work – tackle each task with determination, passion and creativity; the willingness to put in whatever effort is required to successfully complete the job at hand.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – act like an owner, challenging the status quo, asking the right questions, and actively seeking ways to innovate and improve.
- Adaptability – be fluid with evolving priorities while driving change in a fast-paced environment, equipped with the ability to acclimate quickly.
- Servant Leadership – set an example by implementing meaningful leadership with heart, empathy, foresight and stewardship
Education and Essential Competencies
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, advanced degree encouraged.
- CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) certification awarded by APICS preferred.
- CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) certification awarded by ISM preferred.
- Total 10+ years of experience, with 5+ years procurement experience in a manufacturing-based business.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Supply Chain Management, Material Science or Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a cross-functional team and willingness to take on responsibilities outside primary job description when necessary.
- Strong leadership skills; understanding of performance management and conflict resolution principles, able to lead others and translate skills through training and mentoring.
- Action and detail oriented. Ability to work in a fast-paced, time sensitive environment utilizing advanced organization and project management skill and experience.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to manage large datasets.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications including being a super user of Excel Spreadsheet.
- In-depth knowledge of materials management and experience with MRP in SAP and/or Oracle ERP system.
- Familiarity with accounting practices as those relate to asset inventories, purchasing, and receiving.
- Experience utilizing SAP Ariba catalogs or other catalog purchasing tools like Vinamaya or ID-Buy Coupa.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications.
- Excellent negotiation skills, problem solving ability and strategic thinking ability.
Working Conditions and Environment
- Standard office environment in Paper Mill setting, including regular walking into manufacturing areas with mill equipment in operation, and to storeroom and inventory area with shipping and receiving activities.
- Must be able to work off hours, weekends, and be available on short notice basis based on business needs.
- Able to work in abnormal (heat/cold/clean room) operating conditions.
- Minimum travel (<15%) outside Canton/Waynesville area.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.