HR Senior Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Date: 2/16/2021
THIS ROLE IS LOCATED IN CANTON, NC
We’re looking for a key strategic team member: an HR Senior Manager (Director) – Canton and Waynesville Mill Operations, who can help us utilize the extraordinary strengths of highly talented Evergreen Packaging associates who support our world-class customers, retailers and eco-conscious consumers. The ideal candidate has demonstrated strong human resources leadership in a unionized, large scale manufacturing environment with 1,000+ associates. This position has responsibility and oversight for 1,200 associates across three manufacturing sites and is a member of the Canton Operational Leadership Group.
This position is located in Canton, NC which is approximately 18 miles from the beautiful city of Asheville, NC. These cities are nestled in North Carolina’s southern Blue Ridge Mountains. This area is a favorite among culinary travelers and outdoor enthusiasts.
The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Works closely with Mill Manager and leadership team to develop and execute people related strategies for attracting, retaining and developing talent.
- Partners closely with Technical Training Manager on hourly certification process
- Assesses talent risks and develops action plans to drive retention and engagement.
- Key leader in development of mill succession plans for facility.
- Oversight for performance management and other talent systems.
- Manage the labor relations communications between the Union (United Steelworkers), Management, and employees, i.e., issue resolution, grievance procedures, NLRB charges, etc.
- Assists in preparing for and negotiations of collective bargaining agreement.
- Assists in the training and development of line management in the application and administration of the labor agreement.
- Works directly with Local and International Union Representatives on matters concerning the Labor Agreement, policy application, employee grievances, attendance control and disciplinary actions.
- Investigate, prepare and present arbitration cases.
- Investigate NLRB complaints.
- Manage the selection process: recruiting, interviewing, selection teams, hiring and new hire orientation (including benefits) for all employees, including college recruits, summer interns and cooperative education students. Act as liaison between recruiters and college placement offices.
- Responsible for all regulatory and compliance adherence for employment related matters.
- Investigate unemployment claims in conjunction with the preparation of written protest and appeals and represent the Company at unemployment hearings.
Skills and Competencies:
- Inspires and exhibits trust. Maintains confidentiality.
- Strong collaborator.
- Builds high performance and effective teams.
- Plans and organizes around multiple, competing priorities.
- Demonstrated leadership during complex or ambiguous circumstances.
- Analytical and process driven.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to influence and engage others.
- Microsoft Office Suite skills.
- Ability to work within a matrix environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field from a board of regents accredited university. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience as an HR Manager, regional manager or above within a large, complex manufacturing environment. Paper industry/mill experience strongly preferred.
- Experience managing labor relations and all steps of the grievance process.
- Experience working with Talent Management processes and human resources information systems technology.
- Strong analytical abilities with proficient experience in Microsoft Excel and related.
- Experience with large change management initiatives.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.